If you want to go out on your own in your wheelchair but aren’t feeling great and there’s even the remotest possibility you could come to mischief on your own, you can enable the find my friends functionality on your iPhone. Then, if you don’t return when you said you were going to, they can easily find out where you are and come and rescue you. This is sort of like send my location.
- Open the Find my Friends app, it comes as standard on all iPhones running iOS8 or later.
- Get your friend or carer to open the app on their iPhone as well
- Tap the words Add Friends at the bottom of the screen
- On the next screen, type your friends name into the To: field, then tap Send
- Your friend will receive a request asking if they would like to to share their location with you for one hour, until the end of the day or indefinitely. I generally choose until the end of the day because… you know, privacy.
- You will now be able to see your friend on a map on your screen.
Start the whole process again, but in reverse, but on your friend’s phone. You will both now know where the other is for the whole day, simply by opening the app. I find this app works great for the use case of “I’m going out for half an hour, or if I’m not back by then, come and get me please”. All they have to do is look you up on the app and know exactly where you are. Brilliant really.
I bet something like this is possible with Android devices, but I have no experience with those.